NW Energy Angels invested close to $4.7M in 2012
By Christina Williams
Sustainable Business Oregon editor
The Northwest Energy Angels had a record investment year in 2012.
Regional investment network Northwest Energy Angels announced Tuesday that the group invested $4,696,500 in 15 cleantech companies in 2012 — the biggest investment year since the group was founded in 2006.
Sustainable Business Oregon reported last May that the Seattle-based angel investment group put a total of $6.3 million in 34 companies since 2006.
In 2012, Northwest Energy Angels backed eight new investments and made follow-on commitments to seven companies. The companies were based in Oregon, California and Maryland. The group also saw a successful exit by one of its earlier investments, Portland-based Virticus, which was purchased by LSI Industries Inc.
The group's eight new investments were made in:
- Pacific Light Technologies, a LED lighting company.
- Ethical Electric, a clean energy marketing firm.
- Indow Windows, the Portland maker of energy efficient window inserts.
- Scope 5, a sustainability data management company.
- Fledge, the Seattle-based green business incubator.
- Empower Micro System, a power inversion company.
- Columbia Green, the Portland ecoroof company.
- Greenwood Energy, a biomass-based boiler company.
Officials at the angel group pointed out that their record year came in the midst of a slowdown in cleantech investing overall.
"While overall investments in cleantech may have been down, the need to find solutions to climate change has never been greater," said Lars Johansson, co-chair of the Northwest Energy Angels, in a press release. "We will continue to be a unique and valuable resource for clean technology entrepreneurs seeking seed capital for innovative new products and technologies."
If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending on your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.